GLBTQ Welcoming Congregation
The Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Vero Beach (UUFVB) is proud to be a Welcoming Congregation for those in the gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and queer (GLBTQ) community.
Being welcoming means striving for radical inclusion, and creating spaces that honor every part of our identities, backgrounds, and experiences.
As a Welcoming Congregation we have pledged to:
- honor the lives of all people and equally affirm displays of caring and affection without regard for sexual orientation.
- celebrate diversity by using inclusive language and content in worship.
- incorporate an understanding of the experience of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer persons throughout all of our programs, including religious education.
- affirm and celebrate lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer issues and history.
- affirm marriage equality and conduct same-sex weddings.
- advocate for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer people, promoting justice, freedom, and equality in the larger society. We speak out when the rights and dignity of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer people are at stake.
We recognize that there is always something more to learn, and remain open to deepening our understanding about the lives of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer people.
Welcoming takes constant doing and stretching for our welcome to grow. We practice welcome in our congregations by:
- Promoting inclusivityand using inclusive language
- Creating welcoming spaces, including gender neutral bathrooms
- Saying our welcome out loud andÂ in print and online
- Building our welcoming skillsas congregational leaders and greeters
- Deepening our understanding of identitiesthat differ from our own
- Offering sexuality educationfor the entire lifespan
- Preventing discriminationin the process of hiring a minister
- Engaging in justice ministryin our communities and the wider world
Regularly engaging in Welcoming Congregation programming and ministry
160 total views